This section is on resources about family law. Family law focuses on areas such as divorce, adoption, child custody, child support, and other relationships. Please note that many of these offices are currently close due to COVID-19 regulations, however, most of their services are available remotely.

Domestic Violence

Illinois Domestic Violence Hotline: (877) 863-6338

National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233

24-hr Child Abuse Hotline: (800) 252-2873

Phone: (800) 252-2873

In non-emergency situations, anyone may report suspected child abuse or neglect using this link.

For more information on child protecttion in the stateo of Illinois refer to this page.


Call Illinois’ DCFS Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline  for situations including but not limited to:

  • Current injuries to the child
  • Immediate need for medical treatment (including a child who is suicidal)
  • Sexual abuse where the involved adult has or will have access to a child within the next 24 hours
  • A child is currently afraid to go home
  • A child is currently in protective custody of police or medical personnel
  • A child death

The 24-hr child abuse hotline is: (800) 252-2873

Illinois Coalition Against Domestic Violence

For those not  in imediate danger seeking services, this page offers 24/7 options for help and service providers.

ICADV does not offer direct service or operate a 24-hour phone line, but guide individuals to the right resources. 

You may call:  (217) 789-2830

Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30AM to 4:30PM

You can also reach out by filling in this intake form

General Resources

Cabrini Green Legal Aid 

Location: 6 S Clark St., Suite 200, Chicago, IL 60603
Phone: (312) 738-2452

To request legal assistance apply for help here

This organization can help in areas such as divorce, child support, visitation, adoption, and guardianship. Their offices are currently closed, but they are available through phone or legal assistance form above. 

Location: 17 N. State Street, Chicago, Illinois
Legal Aid Hotline: (312) 738-9200

Daytime Hours: Monday – Friday, 9AM to 4:30PM

Evening Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays until 7:30PM

To book an appointment refer to this page

CARPLS can helpin areas like divorce, guardianship and public benefits. Their attorneys offer legal advice but do not represent clients in the courtroom. Also note that CARPLS charges a $25 fee for a 30 min consulation. 

Chicago Volunteer Legal Services

Location: 33 North Dearborn Street, Suite 400, Chicago, Illinois 60602
Phone: (312) 332-1624

This organization can help in areas like adoption, divorce, minor/adult guardianship, child support, wills and advanced directives. 

CVLS has 24 legal clinics across Chicago, for a detailed list of all their locations, hours of operation and phone numbers please refer to this page.

Greater Chicago Legal Clinic

Location: 211 W. Wacker Drive, Suite 750, Chicago, IL 60606
24-hour intake phone: (312) 726-2938, call and leave message on best time to reach you Monday through Friday between 9AM and 5PM.

For parentage and child support issues, call (312) 796-3070 and leave a message

To schedule a meeting online fill out this form.

GCLC’s services are not all free: 

Family Law: The organization has fees on a sliding scale based on income for representation 

Domestic Violence: Free representation for protection and family safety litigation 

Parentage and Child Support Advice Desk: Free services 

For in-depth description of their programs refer to this page.

Illinois Legal Aid Online

To request legal aid fill out this form

Here is a list of other helpful resources provided by ILA, the organization provides easy-to-follow explanations and instructions for different family law situations. 

Divorce Resources

This link provides resources/information on divorce, filing costs of a divorce, child support, parenting plan among other divorce-related topics. 

Child Custody 

This link provides resources/information on starting a case to get parental responsibilities or custody, changing parental responsibilities, family law changes and other information resources. 


This link provides resources/information on getting guardianship for a child, creating a short-term guardianship agreement, changing adult guardianship, among other useful resources. 

For a full list of all their resources relating to family law refer to this page.

Metropolitan Family Services

Phone: (312) 986-4105, leave your name and phone number

Locations of centers

Please note that each location has a link that leads to a page with more information on each center, including whether they have specific programs in each location or more centers within the same area. 

Calumet Centers

Location: 235 East 103rd Street, Chicago, Illinois 60628
Phone:  (773) 371-3600
Intake Line: (773) 371-3642


Monday, Tuesday, and Friday 8:30AM – 5:00 PM

Wednesday and Thursday: 8:30AM– 8:00PM

Saturday: By appointment only

Midway Centers 

Location: 3843 West 63rd Street, Chicago, IL 60629
Phone: 773-884-3310


Monday to Thursday 8:30AM – 8:00PM

Friday: 8:30AM – 5:00PM

Saturday: 9:00AM – 2:00PM by appointment only

North Centers

Location: 3249 North Central Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60634
Phone: 773-371-3700


Monday to Friday: 8:30AM – 5:00PM

Extended hours on Tuesday and Thursday until 8:00 P.M. by appointment only

Dupage Centers

Location: 222 East Willow Avenue, Wheaton, Illinois 60187
Phone: 630-784-4800


Monday and Wednesday: 8:30AM – 9:00PM

Tuesday: 8:30AM – 6:00PM

Thursday and Friday: 8:30AM – 5:00PM

Evanston/Skokie Valley Centers

Location: 5210 Main Street, Skokie Valley, Illinois 60077
Phone: 847-425-7500


Monday to Friday: 8:30AM – 5:00PM (evenings by appointment only)

Southwest Centers

Location: 10537 South Roberts Road Palos Hills, Illinois 60465
Phone: 708-974-2300
Relay Service

|English| (800) 526-0844

|Spanish| (800) 501-0864


Monday and Friday: 8:30AM – 5:00PM

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 8:30AM – 9:00PM


PHONE: (312) 603-6300
(312) 603-5262 OR (312) 603-6228




Child Support/Visitation

Ascend Justice

Location: 17 N. State St., Suite 1390 Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: (312) 971-5932

For more English and Spanish versions of their intake forms visit this page and email it to

Ascend Justice  provides representation in family law cases involving custody, parenting time, and child support.

Child Support Enforcement

Location: 69 W. Washington, Chicago IL 60602
Phone: (312) 603-1880

This office helps parents and custodial guardians establish paternity, receive child support and enforce support obligations owed by non-custodial parents to their children

Call (800) 447-4278


Children can qualify for federal Title IV-E adoption assistance or state (non-IV-E), assistance but not both. 

The Subsidy Program (also known as an assistance program) was designed to provide monthly maintenance payments, medical assistance, and other support for the child until they turn 18 or 21. The state is required to enter into an agreement with the adoptive parents if the child qualifies for assistance.

To check whether you fit the elegibility criteria, visit this page

Other useful links can be found here.

The Cradle 

24-hour toll-free number (800) 843-0978

text:(312) 800-1559


Main Office

2049 Ridge Avenue Evanston,
Illinois 60201

Office Hours

Monday – Friday 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM

Main Phone: (847) 475-5800

Hyde Park (by appointment)

Hyde Park Bank Building
1525 E. 53rd Street
Chicago, IL 60615

Schaumburg (by appointment)

1901 N. Roselle Road
Schaumburg, IL 60195

Merrillville, Indiana (by appointment)

8105 Georgia Street
Merrillville, IN 46410


You can fill out the intake form and they will email you back.

If you’re looking into adopting a child fill out this intake form.

If you have been adopted and are looking for information contact them using this form.

Some of their consultations are $25 while others are free, their services include counseling, and connecting with birth relatives all on a case-by-case basis. 


Location: 69 W. Washington, 7th Floor Chicago, IL 60602
Phone: (312) 603-0800

Location: 12th Floor next to the Forms Desk, Probate Division of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County, Richard J. Daley Center

Richard J. Daley Center Room 1202
Phone: (312) 603-6441

Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30AM to 4:30PM

They provide assistance with guardianship for a disabled adult, and understanding the procedure and completing forms

Center for Disability and Elder Law

Location: 205 West Randolph, Suite 1610 Chicago, IL 60606

Phone: (312) 376-1880

Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00AM-12:00PM

Email: info @

To apply for a remote appointment fill out this intake form.

Their offices are closed but they are available through phone. CDEL does not represent individuals, instead, they help individuals file petitions for adult guardianship of the person and finalized for presentation of the petition to the court.

Equip for Equality

For individuals with disabilitites


Main Office

20 North Michigan Ave., Suite 300 Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 341-0022 (Español)
(800) 537-2632 (English)
(800) 610-2779 (TTY)

Central Illinois Region

1 West Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 816, Springfield, IL 62701
(217) 544-0464 (Español)
(800) 758-0464 (English)
(800) 610-2779 (TTY)

Southern Illinois Region

300 East Main St., Suite 18 Carbondale, IL 62901
(618) 457-7930 (Español)
(800) 758-0559 (English)
(800) 610-2779 (TTY)

Guardianship Assistance Office for Minors

Phone: (312) 603-0135

Adult Guardianship/Domestic Relations Division

Location: 69 W. Washington, 7th Floor Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: (312) 603-0800

Juvenile Division

Location: 2245 W. Ogden Ave. 14th Floor Chicago, IL 60612

Phone: (312) 433-4300

Illinois Guardianship & Advocacy Commission, Office of State Guardian

Phone: (312) 793-5900

IL Guardianship & Advocacy Commission

Commission’s intake number: (866) 274-8023


Administrative Office

160 N La Salle Street, Suite S500 , Chicago Illinois 60601 
Phone: (312) 793-5900

North Suburban Regional Office 

9511 Harrison Avenue W-335
Des Plaines Illinois 60016-1565
Phone: (847) 294-4264

Served Counties:
DuPage, Lake, Northwest Cook County, plus City of Chicago North of Foster Avenue (5200 North)

West Suburban Regional Area 

Post Office Box 7009
Hines, Illinois 60141-7009

Phone: (708) 338-7500 

Served Counties:
Cook County south of 5200 North, Will and Grundy.

For more locations visit this page.

OSG offers services such as helping individuals figure out when guardianship alternatives may be helpful, handling medical matters or fianances for an adult with a disability. and how to fulfill one’s duties as guardian of a person and/or estate, among other things. For a full list of services please refer to this page.

Juvenile Division

Location: 2245 W. Ogden Ave. 14th Floor, Chicago, IL 60612
Phone: (312) 433-4300

OPG offers programs in health, housing and recreation sectors. For a list of detailed description of the types of services the Cook County Public Guardian offers visit this page.


Adult Guardianship 

Location: 69 W. Washington St., 7th Fl., Chicago, IL 60602
Phone: (312) 603-0800

For a list of resources provided by the OPG visit this page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Social Services

Illinois Department of Human Services

You can find an office that offers the services you’re looking for by clicking on this page. There are brief descriptions of the different offices and the types of services they offer under the locator. 

Costumer Help Line: (800) 843-6154

The Help Line can asnwer questions about case status, benefits, services or eligibility.

Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM

Apply for Child Care Online (English/Spanish avaialble)

Apply for Rehabilitation Services Online

To check if you are eligible to apply for benefits refer to this page. This link will also help you find out if you are eligible for other benefits such as cash assistance and/or health coverage. The website is available in Spanish too.

If you already know you are eligible for SNAP you can apply here. The applications are also available in Spanish. 

These are benefits that are ready in 5 days or less from the date you apply. 

You can apply if:

  • Your monthly income, cash and bank accounts are less than your rent or mortgage plus your utility costs, OR
  • Your monthly income is less than $150 and your cash and bank accounts are not more than $100, OR
  • At least one person in your household is a migrant farm worker and your cash and bank accounts are not more than $100.
  • You must have valid identification. We prefer photo identification. We will also take other kinds of identification.

For more information visit this page.

What is a Link card: Anyone approved to receive cash assistance or SNAP (Food Stamps) benefits will be issued an Illinois Link card.  The Illinois Link card is a plastic card that looks and works like a debit card. The LINK card is typically used to buy groceries. 

To apply for SNAP services (to later be issued a LINK card) visit this page.

Manage your LINK Card

Help Line: (800) 678-5465

Language options of English, Arabic, Chinese, Polish, Spanish, or Urdu.

Check eligibility for services English / Spanish

Apply for benefits English / Spanish 

Information Links for Services:


Medicare for Seniors

Disability & Rehabilitation

Developmental Disability